Friday, December 21, 2007

A Recipe and Randomness

So Eddie and I attended a holiday party a week ago where this little ditty was served up. Now before you go and judge that it's "disgusting" or "sick"...have an open mind and determine to try it the next time you have to take an appetizer somewhere (I will be taking them tonight and I will let you know about the feedback). I just think it's so interesting and it was absolutely YUM!

Here is the dealy:
1 package of maple bacon cut down the middle (so instead of 15 longish pieces you get 30 shorter pieces)
1 can of whole water chestnuts
1 jar of pickled watermelon rind (should be in you local grocery store's pickle section and yes you read that correctly)
toothpicks.

Wrap a piece of bacon around a waterchestnut (by the way you can marinate these first if you'd like, I think she did a soy sauce and garlic one for 30 mins prior to wrapping). Secure by skewering with a toothpick. Continue until all chestnuts are wrapped. Wrap a piece of bacon around a piece of watermelon rind and secure with a toothpick (skewer as well) continuing until all the watermelon rinds are wrapped. Place on a cookie sheet that has a cooling rack on it. Place all the wrapped chestnuts and watermelon rinds on the rack and bake for 15-20 minutes at 425. You want the bacon to be crispy and brown. Serve warm and mmm enjoy.

Really, I think I could consume anything if it were wrapped in enough bacon, don't you?


Maglet was left out of the last post and not to be out done, she has pulled some funny little stunts lately that have been the cause of much amusement. As my Mom says, "I wish I could see inside her brain to know what is going on in there that makes her think and do the things she does"

  • She told her Preschool teacher that we're Jewish and then later came home to tell me that all she wants for Hanukkah is a dreydle. (How'd I do on the spelling?)
  • I was walking by the bathroom when something caught my eye (heaven forbid the door gets closed). She was hopping off the toilet backwards (so her tummy was facing the tank). When I questioned her about what she was doing she replied, "I just wanted to see if it would work for me to go potty this way" Oooooh-kay.
  • It obviously was taking too much effort to use her fingers to eat the candies off of her gingerbread house that she made yesterday, she just decided to eat the roof right off the house, without her hands.
Carl has really enjoyed playing basketball. The league here is run by the High School BB team and is instructional. He has been learning a lot and having a great time. Be the ball, be the ball...


And speaking of balls, snow balls anyone?



2 comments:

Missletoe said...

Wow, that recipe sounds like one of those deals where you need to bring something to a party but can't make it to the store and figure that everything tastes good wrapped in bacon. But what do I know? I actually throw my watermelon rinds out!

Delise said...

Okay, the watermelon rinds and chestnuts in bacon were a hit, there was not one left on the tray.

Try them,try them...you will like them Sam-I-Am.