Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Puerto Rico Escape


...okay well really it was more of an escape for me since Eddie was working most days. We stayed in San Juan at the Caribe Hilton, home of the Pina Colada (...mmmm, enjoyed a few of those myself--virgin of course, but other than water, it's now my fav beverage and for anyone who knows me, knows that's saying something!)

Here's their recipe from the hotel magazine:
2 oz rum (for me, optional)
1 oz. coconut cream
1 oz heavy cream (no wonder I like the stuff)
6 oz fresh pineapple juice
1/2 c crushed ice

Mix liquids in a blender and add ice to blend for 15 seconds. Serve in a 12 oz glass and garnish with a fresh pineapple and a cherry.

It was an 85 degree Island Paradise. We enjoyed a great view from our 19th floor balcony (even though it wasn't an "ocean view") where we saw sunsets, a sunrise and a fireworks display.

Sunrise from room balcony

We toured an old Fort and Old San Juan in the pouring rain...and when I say pouring, I mean we could have easily been in the shower type rain. In Old San Juan, the cobblestone streets were glazed blue...very unique and such a pretty color. We ate plantains and of course rice and beans. However, to no one's surprise we steered clear of anything from the sea. (pics to come)


K, MPL and I headed to the beach one morning before the rains came. Everywhere I put sunscreen was fine but anywhere I missed I was fried (read that to mean my legs from mid thigh down and my arms). The burn made dancing painful that night at the Flamenco Party but it was fun to people watch!

Eddie swimming away from beach

While Eddie was at work, I went with K and MPL to the rainforest. There were amazing plants and views. I took so many pictures and learned so many interesting things (like the Puerto Rican Parrot is close to extinction, there is a tree whose leaves turn silver when blown in the wind...so the locals can tell when a storm is coming, a cool little plant that shrivels when touched but returns to life after 10 minutes or so, the street poles are painted in stripes of different colors for each town, bamboo is everywhere, the "pee pee" tree that shoots foul liquid up to 10 ft when squished--our tour guide "Yogi" told us the real name but I can't remember it but he and his brother as children used to call them Pee Pee Trees because of ammunition potential)

Yogi and the Pee Pee Tree Flower




A great view toward Bermuda from the rainforest
It was a thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable trip in the Caribbean sun!

Meanwhile Megan and the kids suffered through temps ranging from 29-48 for daytime highs (with Kat playing her final soccer game on the 29 degree day...brrr!)! Carl and Maglet were sick with coughs and fevers much of the time we were gone and actually, they are still recovering. Thanks Megan for going above and beyond!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wahhhh! If your lucky enough to be at the beach, your lucky enough. Sorry about your burn. Can I come in your suitcase nexttime? I have fond memories of Puerto Rico. I rode a bus with a tourguide who would not stop talking, I had to pee, and when we stopped, I ran thru customs and to the restroom with the policia on my tail..and had to explain in broken spanish that it was an emergency situation..."hold my passport while I Pee....heheheha

Meredith said...

It was fun hangin' with you for a bit in Puerto Rico. I'm sad I never tried the Pina Colada's... guess I'll have to go back! Thanks for sharing the recipe.