
When I picked up Carl from school the other day he informed me that he was now a vegetarian and wouldn't explain why or what prompted this new diet regimen. Later that night I was cooking some hamburger with onion when our conversation went something like this:
Carl: Mmm, Mom that smells good.
Me: Funny thing for a vegetarian to say, it's hamburger
Carl: Vegetarians can't eat hamburger?
Me: Nope
Carl: Vegetarians can't eat hamburger?
Me: Nope
Carl: What about chicken?
Me: Nope
Carl: I'm just going to be a 'porketarian' then.
Me: huh?
Carl loudly chants: Save the pigs, free the pigs!
Me: What about pork chops and bacon? Those are your favorites?
Then nothing, apparently the conversation was over.
He ate a salad for dinner.
Later on our way home from Cub Scouts:
Carl: Mom, I'm not going to be a porketarian anymore
Me: Why not?
Carl: I already miss bacon
Silence for a few minutes and I'm still reeling from the bizarrity of the whole thing so I decided to try once again for understanding.
Me: Carl, what is going on with this whole pig thing? Did you talk about it at school today or something?
I was thinking they'd had an animal cruelty lesson or something---hey, you never know!
Carl: We're reading Charlotte's Web
10 comments:
Awwwe! That is cute. I like you was thinking what did they tell him at school!! I love how kids minds work.
Aren't our kids crazy funny!! This was a really cute post.
That is awesome! Dontcha just love kids! Cute read thanks for sharing!
Porketarian! Sign me up! (Oh, except then no bacon. That would be hard . . .)
This is why I love blogs--it gives us an excuse to write down cute stuff like that and never forget it.
What a great memory for Carl, you and also for myself! I remember feeling the same way when reading Charlotte's Web in grade school. How great to know Carl's sympathetic to the plight of others. =)
That is great! I loved that whole conversation!
so cute!!!
Too bad all the best meat comes from pigs. Otherwise, Charlotte's Web would do us all in!
I love a kid with a sensitive heart!
He is so cute!!! I loved that book when my teacher read it to me too!! Your family is looking great..I love the dog and the new baby niece and nephew.
That story almost made me cry, in a so-sweet kind of way. I loved it. I stopped eating meat for a while back in my young college days, but never could eliminate bacon from my diet. It's too dang good.
Post a Comment