On the left it says, "KHAKIES - metal instruments for opening a car door
'Oh, deeah! I must hahve lost my khakies.' "
On the right it says, "WUCK - To operate. Rhymes with cluck.
'Why buy a new one? This still wucks.' "
A couple other funny ones are :
Wooled - earth
cluck - a salesperson
gnawmull - usual, typical
And she goes on. CT and I laughed and laughed about it because the author nailed it. We tried to practice saying some of the words but ended up sounding like confused southern women.
Kat and Carl on their first day of school here came home upset/crying because they couldn't understand their teachers and when Jeff went to help at a Boy Scout service project, a guy who he'd been talking with for several hours as they worked, asked him where he was from because he had a strong "accent". We laughed and laughed. I hear the YW say "wee-ahd" all the time (weird). For those of you in the area (or not in the area), what are your favorite Bostonianisms?
8 comments:
I think my favorite is Boson pronunciation is "shew-aw" (a.k.a. sure). Missy has also ranted about my other favorite New England saying which is "all set." It doesn't have a funny pronunciation but is still a local original.
One of my closest friends was born and raised in Brockton but recently relocated to Texas so she actually does often sound a little like a confused southern lady! =)
Delise, I noticed that you had posted a comment on Leslie's blog and I thought I would say hello. You have an adorable family. It looks like you are doing great. Who would have ever thought you would end up back east. Hope all is going well for you!!
Gale
that is so hysterical!
When we were living in Minnesota, I remember the first time I went to church and they were talking about the pioneers in their covered "way-guns." (You also fight fire breathing dray-gons.) My kids even got a bit of that Minnesta lilt to their voice. The funny thing was that the Minnesota accent was a lot like a super-pronounced Canadian accent. (I still remember how Tracy called pasta "pahsta" :-). But of course, we Utahns don't have an accent . . . right???
Ang, oh ya, the Minnesota accent and the Western Canadian accent is very similar for sure! "sow-ree"
Nothing like a good coffee table book to start some fun conversations -- that sounds so funny-and it is hilarious that they thought to add the pictures.
I can identify with your kids woes. The night Pops and I pulled into MA, we were lost and really excited to find our new home. We pulled into Shaw's and I hopped out to get instructions from a "cluck". What a waste! Neither of us could understand the other. We looked at each other in frustration because we had some feeling that we must be speaking the same language somehow. Finally, another woman came over to translate for us!
As for my favorite Bostonism... I always had a tough time not breaking down in hysterics during meetings whenever we discussed our "dater". Kinda hard not to talk about data as a scientist. I wish I was more mature.
OK, THAT WAS HILARIOUS! I LAUGHED AND LAUGHED
Post a Comment