Monday, June 18, 2007

Nantucket


We got up bright and early (4:45am, yes it was painful for me!) and were out the door by 5:30. It took us about an hour and half to get to Hyannis where we caught the "slow ferry" at 7:30 and arrived in Nantucket at 9:45am. The kids were great travellers and only fell for the trick, that we saw a shark, once.

Church was held in a local dentist's home (living room). There were were 13 people there (including the 5 of us). Jeff's talk was great as always (it was based on Dallin H. Oaks conference talk..."He Heals the Heavy Laden"...excellent talk). I was able to give the opening prayer and Kat was able to give the closing prayer which was a first time for her. She was nervous but did great. The kids kept asking if that was a "real" sacrament meeting. I guess because it was so different from all the others they'd been to. It was different but it was the same in the essentials too. Where else but the mission field could they have that experience? So great.



We arrived at church a bit early so I took the kids on a walk to get some wiggles out after being confined all morning.

I was struck by how ALL the houses are shingled...ALL. It was a quaint little community. The beaches looked like great fun. We were exhausted and decided to not stay to explore then in our church clothes so we are looking forward to going back. We were told you can stay for a week for around $7,000...cough, just a day trip perhaps?

4 comments:

Patrick & Darci said...

how fun was that? 13 people!!! What an awesome experience for you and the kiddos. I loved that mags is running away from you in the picture!

Missletoe said...

Sounds like my kind of church!!!

Amber said...

Oh-what a GORGEOUS picture of nantucket!! I am so bummed that we never made it out there--but I am happy for you guys-it looks like the good part of classic new england :-)

Darin said...

delise, i haven't been commenting because i didn't know your posts are being put on in reverse order...i just thought you haven't been updating! ooops. is there something you can change so that the most recent post is first? But, now I read your past posts and they are great!